Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Tha UPcoming

Ten Movies I Say I'll See The First Day They Come Out, When I'll Probably Be Seeing Them Close To Two Weeks Afterwards

10. Evan Almighty.
-Steve Carell hasn't made abad decision regarding movies yet. Hopefully he can stay on that path with this sequel to Bruce Almighty. (Yeah, I know. Bruce Almighty? I was/am a fan. I still enjoy all the Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey/Ben Stiller/Will Ferrell craziness. I'll be twelve years old forever.)

9. Shrek the Third.
-Sure, why not?

8. Grindhouse.
-Quentin Tarantino + Robert Rodriguez. Does anyone esle think this movie would be that much more awesome if they were collaborating on not two, but one movie? One glorious, blood-soaked laughfest that couldn't be as easily criticized, as it wouldn't be a double feature.


7. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters.
-Taking a nod from Borat for the title, this flick should be noteworthy because it's an adult cartoon. And it's not cg-animated, and, oh yeah, it's funny as hell. When was the last time a cartoon came out in theaters that wasn't for kids. And an animated movie doesn't count as adult if it's got random innuendo scattered throughout the whole thing. (It's all Shrek's fault. It started the trend.)

6. There Will Be Blood.
-Paul Thomas Anderson is, in my humble opinion, one of the best filmmakers working today. see: boogie nights, magnolia, punch-drunk love. This one's about greed, family, oil, etc. It's another one of these epics that he's famous for, and it's got Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano, that silent kid from Little Miss Sunshine (and before that, Klitz in The Girl Next Door. Just an F.Y.I.)

5. The Simpsons Movie.
-Everyone says that the show lost its groove after the seventh season--which is now over eleven years ago. I completely disagree, but I've got certain reservations about this movie. They've got all their old writers coming back, so I'm crossing my fingers.

4. Revolutionary Road.
-Sam Mendes is the director of American Beauty, Jarhead, and Road to Perdition. And their quality is ranked in that order. This movie hopefully follows the style of those three films, and doesn't subject itself to oscar-begging. I mean, it is going to have Winslet and Dicaprio together again, but maybe it can avoid the basic, formulaic ideals associated with oscar bait.

3. Be Kind Rewind.
-A man whose brain becomes magnetized unintentionally destroys every tape in his friend's video store. In order to satisfy the store's most loyal renter, an aging woman with signs of dementia, the two men set out to remake the lost films, which include Back to the Future, The Lion King, and Robocop. That's the gist of it on IMDB. It's also directed by Michel Gondry, a.k.a. guy who did Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Science of Sleep.

2. Spiderman 3.
-Do I even have to write anything here? Does anyone NOT want to see this movie? I mean, c'mon. It's got crazy black spiderman, (two!) love interests, and a plethora of villians: venom, sandman, little baby goblin, and one that's still being kept under wraps. Sure, I suppose it could be an overcrowded mess, but still! It's Spiderman 3!

1. Synechdoche, New York
-Charlie Kaufman has produced three masterpieces over the last eight years or so. I believe he's the best screenwriter working today. This is his first time directing, and he's got Philip Seymour Hoffman for a protag. PHS is one of the best actors working today. I don't know where I could go wrong here.

No comments: